What to do when you realize your property has defects

Our office remains open at this time. Consultations are available via telephone. In-person consultations are available on a case-by-case basis. The safety of our clients and employees is of the utmost importance.

What to do when you realize your property has defects

On Behalf of | May 5, 2023 | real estate disputes

Constructing a residential or commercial property is a significant investment. You expect it to be top-notch since you invested thousands of dollars to have it standing. However, the constructors you work with make this impossible if they make mistakes and fail to correct them on time. It can take time to notice construction defects, but eventually, you will.

Here is what you should do when this happens:

Get an inspection

If your property shows signs of damage, be it water, structural, electrical, finish defects, among others, you should hire an inspector to determine its root. 

For instance, they can examine water damage to determine if it occurred due to a leak or if it stemmed from construction. In addition, they can help you infer if an issue is a construction or design defect. 

Thus, an inspection will provide you with adequate information, and, in turn, you will know the best way to move forward.

Notify the contractor

It will be best to notify the contractor of the defect in writing. Explain the issue in-depth based on the information the inspector provides you with.

The contractor should respond, informing you of how they will repair the defects, if they will cover the expenses totally or partially, how long they expect the project to take and so on. They should visit the property to examine the defect.

Take legal action

If your contractor fails to respond after a reasonable period or you disagree with their offer, perhaps they want you to cover all expenses or deny responsibility, you need to learn about your legal options.

Construction defect cases can be complicated. It will be best to get legal guidance to prove and defend against one.    

FindLaw Network
Share This