Summer vacation doesn’t mean your visitation rights go on hiatus

Our office remains open at this time. Consultations are available via telephone. In-person consultations are available on a case-by-case basis. The safety of our clients and employees is of the utmost importance.

Summer vacation doesn’t mean your visitation rights go on hiatus

On Behalf of | Apr 26, 2017 | Child Custody

When you became one of many other divorced parents in Illinois, you likely determined you’d not allow the situation to cause a breakdown in your relationship with your children. You worked long and hard to negotiate a viable visitation plan. However, with summer vacation just around the bend, you may now be worried how it might affect your current custody agreement.

As a noncustodial parent, you may have been told you cannot travel with your children. This is not necessarily true, especially if the court has determined that ample time with both parents to be in your children’s best interests. Sometimes, the court does rule that you must seek its permission before taking your children away from the court’s jurisdiction.

It’s also not uncommon that the court requires a parent planning to travel with children to provide reasonable notice to the other parent, as well as a copy of the proposed itinerary. This is usually done so the non-traveling parent knows where to reach the other parent in case of emergency. A parent taking children on vacation may also need to provide means of communication between children and the other parent at all times.

If you’re not the parent traveling, and are concerned that summer vacation is going to interrupt your visitation schedule, you can request that substitute time be allotted to you when your children arrive back home from their vacation. McCarthy & Allen, in Illinois, is prepared to help you overcome any obstacles that arise concerning child custody during summer break. When a difficult issue seems impossible to resolve, aggressive litigation might be necessary. We are committed to acting on your behalf to protect your parental rights and make sure your visitation agreement is enforced.

FindLaw Network
Share This